Friday, February 29, 2008

Beauty

My grandma, Marjorie Lee Cooney, is one of the most important women in my life. She lives her life with so much joy and energy. These photos are from a Thai food outing with the ladies of the family. Don't dare to ask her age, she'd never tell you and you would never guess.


My grandma has always said to me, "Margi, if I were as beautiful as you, I would dance on the moon."


"Abuelita" I call her, is originally from New Mexico. Turquoise jewelry has been the staple Christmas gift since my cousin Katy and I were 3-years-old.


"Grandma, you're like a fine wine, you only get better with age." Margi

3 comments:

Abe said...

I love the first two, but the lighting in the second one is not do great. I think that it makes her look pale. Maybe you could bring out the yellow in the first one more. And the hands are just beautiful. I love the shadows and the colors. Wonderful!

Anita Opazo said...

I love this project and how you successfully captured something that is so important to you and will be valuable for years and generations to come. I LOVE that you thought through the image of the rings as that captures part of the essence of your relationship with her.

I'm wondering if you played with brightness or fill light if you'd be able to restore some for the details of her face that have been lost by the flash... If you can't do it successfully in lightroom you could get photoshop to do it with the burn/dodge tool.

shane edward said...

The top picture of your grandmother is quite an amazing portrait. The wall color is so vibrant and the placement of the subject is incredible. If the picture describes your grandmother at all she seems like a very fun person.